How to Grow Nagaimo Plant
Caring for Bougainvillea Plants: How To Do It Right
They bloom in bright colors and give off a summery feeling. The bougainvillea plant actually comes from tropical areas, but is now also becoming increasingly popular in Central Europe. In this country, however, there are a few things you should consider when caring for bougainvillea.
So that you can make your bougainvillea bloom and enjoy its beauty over a longer period of time, we will explain in this article how you can optimally care for your bougainvillea. We try to clarify the most frequently asked questions and give you important tips on bougainvillea care.
the essentials in brief
- Bougainvillea plants are native to South America. The plants are used to the subtropical to tropical climate and therefore like summer temperatures. So you should choose a sunny place for the plant.
- Bougainvilleas bloom from late summer to early autumn. Due to the temperature sensitivity of the plant, it is important to overwinter it in good time and not to give it outside too early.
- There are a few things to consider when caring for the bougainvillea. For optimal growth and a vigorous flowering phase, the plant must be repotted and cut back regularly. In addition, you should water and fertilize at the right intervals.
Caring for Bougainvillea Plants: What You Should Know
The bougainvillea is now widespread. Because of its colorful flowers, it can also be seen on many balconies or terraces in Germany.
They originally come from South American countries such as Brazil, but are now also cultivated in Central Europe and other areas. The plant got its name from the French navigator Louis Antoine de Bougainville.
Where is the best place to plant a bougainvillea?
You should also choose a location that protects the plant from rain and storms, otherwise you risk losing its leaves. Since the bougainvillea is a climbing plant, you should also choose a place where the bougainvillea can climb.
How do you get a bougainvillea to bloom?
It is also important to note the size of the bucket, it should not be too small and if necessary you have to cut back the bougainvillea. The bougainvillea usually bloom in late summer or early autumn. Basically, the bougainvillea can bloom here between March and October.
What soil do you use for bougainvillea plants?
A peat-free potting soil, which has a slightly increased clay content, is suitable for this, as it can store moisture well. Normal potting soil can also be used, or a mixture of garden soil and compost soil.
How often should you fertilize a bougainvillea?
The phosphate content should be slightly higher than the other nutrients. Organic fertilizers such as compost can also be used; these are more environmentally friendly and provide the plant with nutrients for longer than mineral fertilizers.
How often should you water a bougainvillea?
However, it can recover if it is poured again. Basically, the moisture inside the soil should always be checked. Ideally, it is not wet, but slightly damp.
How do you cut back a bougainvillea?
In the growth phase you should cut back the shoots about once a month and then fertilize the plant.
A larger pruning of the bougainvillea should be done before the growth phase. All side shoots are cut off from the main shoot directly at the starting point. This can be combined well with repotting the plant.
How to repot a bougainvillea
Because the roots are only slightly connected and unstable, you should not act too roughly, even if the roots have grown together with the pot, and if necessary cut open the pot. It is usually advisable to use somewhat smaller pots, as the bougainvillea then focuses more on the formation of flowers, while the plant places more emphasis on growth in larger pots.
How do you overwinter a bougainvillea?
In winter, the bougainvillea should be watered a little less, usually it is enough if the soil only has a little moisture. In addition, pests often appear in winter, which is why you should check the plant more closely during this time. An exception is the Bougainvillea glabra, which should be wintered cool.
From around mid to late October, depending on the region and the corresponding climate, you should give the bougainvillea to its winter quarters. In spring, at the end of March-April, the plant can then be put outside again. However, one should keep in mind that the temperature is constantly above 0 degrees Celsius.
What temperature can a bougainvillea tolerate?
What types of bougainvillea plants are there?
|Bougainvillea glabra||Height up to 5 m, thorny branches, lilac-colored bracts|
|Bougainvillea peruviana||unbranched main shoot, different flower forms, splitting of the inflorescence|
|Bougainvillea spectabilis||hooked thorns, very hairy leaves, yellowish flowers|
These are only the most important representatives. There are a number of other varieties, most of which are crosses of the species listed here. There are now a number of Bougainvillea hybrids.
What diseases and pests can a bougainvillea get?
If the humidity is too low, there is a risk of spider mite or scale insect infestation. In this case you should try to increase the humidity or spray the plant with a mixture of soapy water and alcohol. If necessary, you also have to resort to pesticides.
The bougainvillea can beautify every terrace and balcony, but it also needs to be cared for accordingly. Above all, a sunny location with summer temperatures and enough air is important.
If you want the plant to live for a longer period of time, it must be overwintered in good time, as the plant does not tolerate temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius. For optimal care, it should also be repotted and cut back at regular intervals.
So there are a few things to keep in mind if you want to cultivate a bougainvillea. All in all, this works well if you get information and follow the guidelines. However, you should already have some experience as a gardener.
Image source: Montian Noowong / Unsplash
Why can you trust me
- Grimmichi Lemons Fanfiction Where Naruto
- Winner t-shirt supplier wholesale
- What does Nolite Time mean in relation to
- How to make a serrated paper stencil
- Echolink repeater at what вЂ ‹вЂ‹ age
- Gelusil Lac 500mg is how many grams
- How do I use fluocinolone scalp oil
- Where are sofas made to order
- Imiona po angielsku wojciechowski
- To 5, how to get a Shevas bow
- What does utter insolence mean, Joe
- One direction that Diana is
- Skyrim how to kill Grelod of the Kind
- What is a cordon offense
- Hofner shorty specs howard
- Cold in my heart what happened to Bob
- Digitech rp80 how to change the pace
- Where can I find Western Union in Dubai
- 21 Howell teachers fired
- How a Libra man falls in love
- How To Do Bokeh Effect Photo Contests
- How to become a Mori Lee Retailer
- Where can you rest your violin in Singapore
- Wholesale display of anime characters