What does Range Feeded Beef mean
Feeding range cubes may fit well into a cattle operation, depending on a few factors.
South Dakota State University Extension Beef Specialist Julie Walker says producers need to determine what resources they have to figure out if range cubes will work on their operations. Producers should also look at the total cost of delivering it.
“A lot of producers will say, 'It's cheaper for me to use alfalfa.' But did you take the cost of labor, of X number of hours that it's going to take you to get the tractor started, go out and deliver it, unroll it, whatever? Did you take the cost of that tractor for the fuel and depreciation and wear and tear on the tractor? " Walker says. "All of those things need to be taken into consideration."
She says most of the time producers are comparing feed on a cost-per-ton basis. However, Walker says they really should be comparing it on cost per nutrient rather than cost per ton.
Many producers will use range cubes because they may be convenient and cost-effective. They may also have their system set up to feed range cubes, and it could fit their management scheme.
Producers, Walker says, might use range cubes to meet a nutritional shortage. Often times, they will be feeding range cubes when cattle are out on dormant forage, so they could be short on protein.
"By supplementing with range cubes or range cake, they will be able to meet that nutritional shortage or deficiency," she says.
Producers may be choosing between alfalfa, lick tubs or range cubes to supplement their feed.
“All three of them would be able to provide the nutrients those animals need, but a producer may already have the caker, the delivery system; it may be priced right, or the cattle are too far away, so they don’t want to drive that far, ”Walker says. "They could easily throw the caker in the back of the truck and run down there, and it's relatively easy."
The makeup of range cubes will vary depending on the manufacturer. They could include urea, wheat midds, field peas or distillers grains.
“The list of ingredients on those can be pretty varied based on what they can get at a relatively cheap cost to make the product they want. They’re really going to make that combination based on available products and products that will stick together so they will maintain the integrity of the cube, ”Walker says.
Before deciding to supplement with range cubes, Walker suggests producers test their feed to see if they have a shortage of a nutrient and how much of a shortage.
She gives an example: Maybe producers are feeding 100 percent hay and the feed analysis will say there is so much protein. Maybe it is short so much protein that the producers take out a couple of pounds of hay and put in a couple of pounds of range cake.
Walker says it becomes more difficult to analyze feed quality when cattle are out grazing dormant range. In those situations, she would do a best estimate of what she thinks the forage is.
“We encourage them to watch body condition scores of cattle. If they start losing condition or appear to be not thriving as well, we would adjust, ”she says.
Walker says there is research out there that says whether producers supplement every day or once a week, they will usually get the same response. If producers are feeding 2 pounds per animal and have 100 cows, they would feed 200 pounds per day. If they decide to feed it every three days, it would be 600 pounds.
She says the size of the cake feeder will determine how often they need to put it out.
“They can go from feeding it daily to feeding it once a week and get the same response because protein in the ruminant recycles and requires them not to need it every day,” she says.
PHOTO: Texas producers used range cubes to sustain their herds through the difficult drought of 2011-12. Photo by Robert Burns, courtesy of Texas AgriLife Extension Service.
- Yung hod who you
- Gyaneshwari express Howrah on Mumbai Running Status
- JK copier paper wholesale in Mumbai
- Recesky tlr how to use
- Goldring 2500 what HiFi test loudspeaker
- How much is 100 Baisa to Peso
- First put the allspice in the olive fruit
- Npc conjures up pursuers dark souls 2 wo
- William Howard Taft Armstrong
- How to make topokki korean food online
- How did Ifor Jenkins die today
- Rhiannon frater pretty when she kills epub
- Samuel gridley howe and dorothea dix quotes
- What does the Korean word hyung mean
- Graeber goodbye lyrics that is imagination
- How the mass media affects people
- What is the breed of dog in headhunters
- Who put the bomp chords
- How should we call myself meme pics
- What does good god lemon
- How water hardness affects cleaning action plans
- How to create yahoo pipes examples
- 173cc is how many horsepower there are in 212cc
- At the same time puscifer texte what do you know
- What does 65 moa mean
- 12x18x2 cake pan how much dough
- How to become a Hoyt bow dealer
- What does painfully mean?
- How to become obstetric uk daily mail
- How to sew English saddle stirrup covers
- WhatsApp clone Codecanyon app
- What is non-verbal communication in Germany
- How to reset traxxas vxl 3s problems
- What does ball hit