625g ham joint how to cook
Gammon comes from the hind leg of a pig after it has been cured in a dry-rub or brined.
Choose from our selection of unsmoked and smoked gammon joints including free range gammon at Waitrose & Partners. When buying a gammon joint allow 150-170g per person.
A gammon joint can be cooked by boiling or a combination of boiling and baking. Cooked gammon can be served hot, traditionally with parsley sauce or a sweet cranberry and port relish. It's also equally as delicious cold as part of a buffet with a selection of meats and chutneys or satisfyingly sandwiched between rounds of bloomer bread.
Keep in the fridge in the original wrapping or in a covered container, below and away from cooked foods and any ready to eat food. Store until the use by date. To freeze, freeze on the day of purchase for up to 1 month. To defrost, remove from the original packaging and place on a plate or tray and cover. Defrost thoroughly in the bottom of the fridge, below and away from cooked foods and any ready to eat food, before cooking. Never re-freeze raw meat that has been frozen and then thawed. Wash work surfaces, chopping boards, utensils and hands thoroughly after touching raw meat.
How to cook gammon joints:
- To boil a gammon joint: place it in a pan and cover with cold water, add cloves, black peppercorns or bay leaves to flavor if required.
- Bring the water to the boil, when the water boils, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- To boil and bake a joint (this gives an attractive glazed finish to the fat): boil as above for half the cooking time, drain the joint and wrap well in foil and place in a roasting tin.
- Bake for the remainder of the cooking time in a preheated oven at 180 ° C, gas mark 4 until thoroughly cooked.
- If a glazed finish is required: increase the oven temperature to 220 ° C, gas mark 7. Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the joint from the oven and open the foil, remove the beef and score the fat into a diamond pattern. Stud the fat with cloves and sprinkle with brown sugar or brush with a mixture of 4 tbsp marmalade and 5 tbsp clear hone. Return the joint to the oven and cook for the remaining cooking time until the fat is a golden brown color.
Explore gammon recipes
- How long you have to learn to skate inline
- How to stop chicken wing golf swing
- What is the mcc code 0803
- What is FTP server for bluetooth
- Echo pb 250ln does not start when it is hot
- Cosine squared plus sine squared equals what
- The geo-tracker loses power when it warms up
- What does taurine mean
- How to tighten the handbrake on evo x
- How to deter crows from corn
- What is dual sanitary system
- Martins potato bread wholesaler
- Indranil Chowdhury Volvo Parts
- Beeswax in wholesale from certified organic cultivation
- What does a red sun tattoo mean
- How great are our god drum chords
- How to Focus Focus on an airplane
- How to unlock raiden in mk3
- Naser al khater wikihow
- Gedney Howe biography of michael
- What color is Zayn Malik's eyes
- Drum cover Avril Lavigne when you're gone
- GMC engine stops when Garcinia is stopped
- Wholesale sip trunk vendor uk
- Aquarius man born January 22nd which sign
- 09 ridgeline where is ac relay
- Brian Owens what's going on back there
- How to tie a double shoelace
- What attracts a house
- Forever ends here somehow somewhere
- How to use iddata in matlab
- What if my child swallowed hand sanitiser
- Who killed Massa Rangarh