Ubuntu 12.04 how to disable compiz
This article has been tested on the following versions of Ubuntu:
Would you like to test the article for another Ubuntu version? Participation in the wiki is always welcome! For this purpose, the instructions for testing articles must be observed.
Compiz 🇬🇧 is a composite and window manager which, in conjunction with a suitable graphics card and other software, ensures that impressive effects are displayed on the desktop. The "Compiz Fusion" project offered additions to Compiz, including additional effects in the form of plugins. In the meantime, both projects have been combined under a common name.
Compiz uses hardware acceleration whenever possible. To do this, windows are transformed into textures and put together directly in the graphics card to form a visible desktop. Moving a window is almost completely taken over by the graphics card and the processor is greatly relieved. At the same time, the functions of the graphics card can be used to manipulate the textures. For example, you can zoom in closer to a window, so you have a built-in magnifier.
Hardware acceleration also makes the many effects possible that make Compiz so popular. For example, the textures can be deformed when they are moved, put together to form a three-dimensional cube or "burn off" when a window is closed.
Unity, preferred by Ubuntu to Trusty, used Compiz as a composite and window manager.
So that the hardware acceleration can be used, Compiz makes certain requirements on the hardware, the driver and the Xserver - if these requirements are not met, Compiz will not start!
The exact requirements for using Compiz are under  summarized.
The following packages must be installed  be:
compiz (from 04/18 in universe)
compiz-gnome (optional, for the GNOME desktop, from 04/18 in universe)
compiz-plugins-extra (universe, optional, further effects and animations)
Package list to copy:
Or install with apturl, Link: apt: // compiz, compiz-gnome, compiz-plugins-extra
Since Kubuntu 8.10 or KDE 4.1, the KDE window manager has native effects that are activated by default. So Compiz is not required.
So that Compiz can be used in Xfce, some Compiz plugins must first be activated with the help of CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager) in order to create a usable working environment:
"Window Decoration" (Window frame + control buttons)
"Move Window" (Move window)
"Resize Window" (Change window size)
In order to permanently replace xfwm4, the Xfce window manager, with Compiz, the file ~ / .config / xfce4 / xfconf / xfce-perchannel-xml / xfce4-session.xml the line with:
On Ubuntu MATE, use MATE Tweak to activate Compiz. There are two presets with different effects available. The setting "no" completely disables Compiz.
In addition, Compiz can also be started with the following command in the terminal  start:
The desktop effects via Compiz can also be deactivated again. Alternatively, Compiz can be deactivated with a command. Because Compiz is an alternative window manager, Compiz is replaced by a different window manager. You should return to this before if you want to uninstall Compiz. For Xfce the command is:
Most of Compiz's plugins are explained in the CompizConfig Settings Manager article. There is also a list of Compiz plugins with additional descriptions on the Compiz Plugins page.
Default shortcut keys of some plugins¶
With the Compiz CCSM, the visual effects of Compiz can be adjusted down to the smallest detail.
Sometimes it helps to reconfigure the program:
Otherwise, a detailed description can be found under Compiz / Troubleshooting.
This revision was created on April 12, 2021 10:27 by tuxifreund.
The following keywords were assigned to the article: window manager, desktop
- People who stopped segregation
- What is bespoke Vera Wang
- Kvip latrine design who is africa
- How to get rafflesia food wsu
- What's on Milwaukee TV
- How to say freeze in Spanish
- Unrelenting Vermont jewelry from what lies beneath
- How to play prison tennis game
- When did Tourers Roberts divorce?
- Wojciechowicz olsztyn ktm 390
- How much does sebum cyst removal cost
- What happened to Friendster 2008
- How can I merge two photos online
- How to remove drop caps when posting
- How do I create a URL link in MSI
- Jc wholesale westmeath independent
- What is dermovate ointment 0.05 used for?
- Rhiannon frater pretty when she kills epub
- Minecraft, how to conjure up fireballs
- What is Daemonoid Tracker problem
- Adidas speed rope how to adjust
- What is the scope of applied sociology
- Becky Schrock Amish, where is she now
- How to Promote Clickbank Products on eBay
- How to Raise a Crazy Monster Rancher 2
- What does free shrug mean
- In pro basketball stats what is prf
- What does Contenderunt mean in Latin?
- What does it mean to wake up at 3 a.m.
- What does yawning mean for the society of dead poets?
- What is cpt 31237
- Whataburger vs in-n-out memes
- What is neutrasal irrigation
- Eisenhower park golf gift certificate