Easy cbm evaluates which grade level
Rules & Tips
Rules: This is how the competition works
Who can take part?
All 6th grade students in Germany can take part.
The exact rules of the game, evaluation criteria, tips for participation and templates can be downloaded from the Downloads section.
What stations are there?
The competition starts at the schools and then runs over several regional and supraregional stages up to the state decision and the subsequent federal finals. More on this under competition phases
How are students registered for the reading competition?
The best readers are first determined within the class, then at school level.
- Every school can a * n Register online for the school winner to take part in the regional decision. Registration for teachers here ...
- Schools with more than 200 participants in the sixth grade are allowed to register two winners.
- Inclusive schools can also register two winning children: a regular and a special needs student. More about this under Downloads
- Registration of the school only online on this page (from the beginning of November!) - Registration deadline: December 15, 2019!
What is being read
Each child reads a passage from an elective text and usually from a foreign text.
The election text
The participants choose the book and text section themselves.
The text must meet the following criteria:
- It takes around three minutes to read.
- School reading books, anthologies, poetry, dialect and theater pieces are not permitted. Self-written texts are also not allowed.
- A title by a different author must be selected at each subsequent level. The books may not come from the same book series or series repeatedly.
- The texts must not consist of photocopied collections of pages, be deleted, supplemented or otherwise changed.
- Reading from e-book readers is generally permitted, provided that an original, unchanged e-book is read out (no excerpts, reading samples, etc.). Should technical malfunctions prevent or interrupt the presentation, this can lead to the contribution not being rated.
Before reading, the children name the title and author of their book and briefly explain the context of the prepared text section. This book presentation does not count towards the reading time and is not included in the evaluation.
The foreign text
A text is given by the respective organizers in coordination with the jury.
- Ideally, all participants take turns reading aloud from a book.
- The reading time per child is around two minutes.
- A constant level of difficulty is desirable, if possible without "tongue twisters" or foreign language expressions.
The organizers are free to decide whether the foreign text is read by all children or only by those who are shortlisted.
Who rates the readers?
- For class and school decisions: classmates and teachers, also external jurors gladly.
- For regional competition events: An independent jury put together by the local organizer.
- The principles and evaluation sheet that can be found in the download area are provided for assessing the lectures.
- The jury's decision cannot be challenged. The judges' decision is final. There is no entitlement to repetition of competition events.
What is there to win?
At each regional level from the city / district decision, all participants receive a certificate and a book gift. The winners win an additional book or a book voucher as well as an invitation to the next higher competition round.
The 16 state winners win a three-day stay in Berlin and participation in the finals in the rbb studio.
The national winner receives a book check for 50 euros and is invited to the jury for the next final. The school wins the challenge cup, an author visit and an extensive book package for the school library. - (In the event of a change of school, the challenge cup will be issued at the new school. The book package will be sent to the old school, where the reading should also take place if possible.)
More information about the winnings on the respective phase pages:
* For better readability, personal names on this website are given in the masculine form. This also expressly means and addresses all female persons!
Tips for participants
Don't worry - if you like reading, you can usually read aloud well. With the right text, a little practice and a few tips and tricks, the performance is sure to be a success.
You can use the reading competition to present your favorite books or to discover new ones.
You only have to pay attention to:
- Read from one novel before, preferably from a children's or youth book that interests and inspires you. Poems, school books, plays, dialect stories as well as texts that you have modified or wrote yourself are not permitted. Only books are allowed (printed or digital), no copies, loose sheets or single pages.
- If you use an e-book reader, the e-book must be an original. Copies and extracts are not permitted. And attention: If technical problems occur with the device, e.g. an empty battery, a system crash or similar, your presentation may not be rated.
- Those who progress must read from a different author's book in each subsequent round. Titles from the same series or series may not be chosen twice, even if they are written by different authors.
- Select the section of text so that you read for about three minutes. The section should be self-understandable, even for those unfamiliar with the book.
- If you are looking for tips on books, seek advice from a bookstore or library or ask friends and acquaintances! We present special book recommendations in the reading tips. If you want to know which books have been read aloud the most in recent years, take a look at the book hits.
Practice and prepare
Above all, it is important that you choose a book and an excerpt that meets the criteria and that you like. You should know the whole book and your passage well. You can also practice reading out texts that you don't even know.
- Try out beforehand whether you can read your text section in the given time. It doesn't have to be accurate to the second, but it would be a shame if the jury had to interrupt before you could finish reading your prepared passage.
- Don't study the text too much! Reading well does not mean showing exaggerated acting; just as little as the unwinding of sentences by heart. It is crucial that you are fluent in your text segment, that you find the right emphasis and that you can convey the atmosphere of the story as naturally as possible.
- Before you start reading, name the author and title of your book and briefly explain what it is aboutso the audience can understand the context of your text. It is of course assumed that you have read the book in full.
In the competition you read out the text that youself selected and prepared. Before doing this, state the title and author of your book and briefly explain what it is about. In most of the decisions you will also read oneForeign text that you don't know yet.
The evaluation criteria for the reading competition are:
- Reading technology, that is, read aloud confidently and fluently, with clear, easily understandable pronunciation, appropriate speed and meaningful intonation.
- interpretation, here it is assessed whether you can capture the mood of the text and pass it on to the audience. This includes putting yourself in the shoes of what is happening and expressing it convincingly. This does not mean to rehearse a text by heart or to exaggerate theatrically.
- Text selection (only for the text of your choice that you know beforehand). The point here is that you have selected a suitable text excerpt, the beginning and end of which the audience can understand.
The jury also makes sure that you do not exceed the reading time of a good three minutes.
"Good reading is when nobody is bored" - says a professional who should know. Rufus Beck, one of the most famous audiobook speakers, reveals his special reading rules to you, here as a pdf:
Tips for reading aloud from Rufus Beck
So you pull the audience with you
Good reading means bringing a story to life for the audience. This works best when you are relaxed, focused and immersed in the text.
If you're nervous, take time to take a deep breath or sip water. Don't read too fast - you want the audience to be able to follow you.
Put yourself in the mood of the text and in the characters of the plot. If you let yourself get carried away with the lyrics, so will the audience.
This is not unusual in a competitive environment. Nevertheless, try to remain as calm as possible and not read too hastily or too softly because of the excitement. Little slip of the tongue is not tragic; Do not let this confuse you.
- Of course, everyone wants to win and advance to the next round. But there can only ever be one first place - no matter how tight it is. Even if you may be disappointed with the result: The jury also has clear guidelines for evaluating, and each member awards their points independently.
- The reading competition is not a competitive competition, what counts is: experience books! Be there, take part and have fun in Germany's largest reading competition!
We are of course interested in what experiences you have in the reading competition at school and in other decisions. We look forward to every letter and email!
Reading tips for listening
The colleagues from radioMikro - the children's radio of the Bavarian Broadcasting Corporation - have collected tips for reading aloud: From choosing the right book to the appearance, you can prepare together with Harry Haspel.
More on radioMikro
Final 2020 - reading of national winner Jonna Bürger
© 2021 Foundation for Book Culture and Reading Promotion of the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels
- How did Ifor Jenkins die today
- Semi-formal letter, like many addresses
- Os x channel binding like
- How to reset the torque droidz force to the factory settings
- Red Dragon Quest magiquest how to
- What is retrogradation and synaeresis glassy
- Gta 5 how to get gang burrito
- Where is Ibiza Weekender Hotel
- Edmond howell b. 1628
- What is a 100,000 page form
- What is acido nalidixico fenazopiridina
- Foo chow china lacquerware chiang
- Skyrim, how to get Templar armor
- Tosoni shoes for the 16 year old man
- Location montmagny 95360 what county
- What caused Farquhar provided distorted perceptions
- A somewhat idealized graph of speed
- Wolf howls at moon knight wonder
- Whatever happened to Sawyer and Sullivan Sweetin
- How to install shear wall plywood
- Spychowo Mazury Mapa Jezior
- What does hyper angelic karma mean
- What is the gm angle in degrees
- Green card consular processing how long